I should add, according to perldiag, this means:

Can't upgrade that kind of scalar
(P) The internal sv_upgrade routine adds "members" to an SV, making
it into a more specialized kind of SV. The top several SV types
are so specialized, however, that they cannot be interconverted.
This message indicates that such a conversion was attempted.
That does not, unfortunately, tell me much.

Also, returning it to a GLOB, or even not setting the return value to
anything, doesn't help.
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/ Next Generation Spam Defense