There's an awful lot that goes on in that routine. Typically I do this:

$set = Setup
series of operations with $set (insert/search/delete...)
Is there any way to cache that initial $set? For instance, if I call
SetupObject, then everything is done except the ties. In theory that
ought to be reusable in some way, but I'm not sure how. I need to be
careful of the case where one routine is using a $set to do one thing
and a routine it calls tries to use the same one to do something else.

Any ideas?
--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/ Next Generation Spam Defense