It was a response to "I am sure that some of the Maven developers would
like to use some of the new Java features to make the coding easier."

For the Maven (core) developers to take advantage of the newer features, we
would need to up the <source> level we compile core with. JavaC will allow
<source> less than <target> but not the other way around, so if we want to
use the newer features in core, we force all Maven users to have to run
core with a newer version of Maven.

At this point in time I do not see any compelling features in 1.7 which are
worth the difference.

If it turns out that a core library we use needs a newer version of Java
because that core library needed the newer language features, then we would
have to consider upgrading core to use the newer version of that core
library.

The only feature in 1.7 that we would benefit from is the try with
resources... which is not that big a difference. 1.8's lambdas is a
different story though... but it will likely be a good while before we can
consider alienating all the pre 1.8 users