And you'll recall my vote is for 3.0 (assuming the idea works and you
decide to go ahead with it, that is)

[Briefly, for anyone who is interested, the idea is to replace the artifact
attached to the reactor, rather than replace the file... Thus jar:jar's
output will be the responsibility of jar:jar and shade:shade can just
compare timestamps against its peevious output and be happy if it has a
no-op. people relying on the actual files in target having specific names
will have issues until they adapt (or switch the flag back to the pre-3.0
behaviour). People interacting with the repo will be unaffected.]

- Stephen