First, using Solr as a repository is pretty risky. I would keep the official copy of the data in a database, not in Solr.

Second, you can’t “migrate tables” because Solr doesn’t have tables. You need to turn the tables into documents, then index the documents. It can take a lot of joins to flatten a relational schema into Solr documents.

Solr does not support schema migration, so yes, you will need to save off all the documents, then reload them. I would save them to files. It makes no sense to put them in another copy of Solr.

Changing the schema will be difficult and time-consuming, but you’ll probably run into much worse problems trying to use Solr as a repository.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org
http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)