The use case is:

1. A SolrJ client updates the main index (and replicas) and issues a commit
at regular intervals.
2. Another component updates the external files at other intervals.

Usually, the commits result in a new searcher which triggers the
org.apache.solr.schema.ExternalFileFieldReloader, but only if there were
changes to the main index.

Using ReloadCacheRequestHandler in (2) above would result in the loss of
index/replica synchronization provided by the commit in (1), and reloading
the core is slow and overkill. I think it would be easier to have the SolrJ
client in (1) always update a dummy document during each commit interval to
force a new searcher.

Thanks,
Peter