On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Timothy Potter wrote:
Trying to add some information about core.properties and auto-discovery in
Solr in Action and am at a loss for what to tell the reader is the purpose
of this feature.
IMO, it was more a removal of unnecessary central configuration.
You previously had to list the core in solr.xml, and now you don't.
Cores should be fully self-describing so that it should be easy to
move them in the future just by moving the core directory (although
that may not yet work...)

-Yonik
http://lucidworks.com
Can anyone point me to any background information about core
auto-discovery? I'm not interested in the technical implementation details.
Mainly I'm trying to understand the motivation behind having this feature
as it seems unnecessary with the Core Admin API. Best I can tell is it
removes a manual step of firing off a call to the Core Admin API or loading
a core from the Admin UI. If that's it and I'm overthinking it, then cool
but was expecting more of an "ah-ha" moment with this feature ;-)

Any insights you can share are appreciated.

Thanks.
Tim

groupsolr-user @
categorieslucene