Just out of curiousity, does anyone here know how well query caching
works in general with an extremely high-volume search engine?

It seems like as your search volume goes up, and the number of unique
queries goes up with it, the cache hit rate would go down, and caching
would help less and less. Urs Hoelzle (Google) mentioned this in a
talk he gave at UW in 2002:

http://rakaposhi.eas.asu.edu/f02-cse494-mailarchive/msg00138.html
(link to video on this page)

-chris