Look up MaxMergeDocs and MergeFactor on IndexWriter. This may be set
to merge various segments when you add past a certain number of docs,
which can take a while.

How big is the index in general? I've worked with multi-GB indexes (up
to about 250GB) which function fine IF these are set correctly :)

(I dont have lucene.net docs or VS handy at the moment, so I'm going
off the java docs, but they are here:

http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/api/org/apache/lucene/index/IndexWriter.html#getMaxMergeDocs()
http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/api/org/apache/lucene/index/IndexWriter.html#getMergeFactor()

(those are for 2.4, not sure which version Lucene.NET is coming off at
the moment)