One small correction here: NRT reopen is much cheaper than IW.commit /
IR.reopen, for getting indexed changes visible to your reader, since
it doesn't invoke fsync and doesn't have to write deleted docs to the
directory only to then load them again in the reader.

But, it's still fairly costly, so you shouldn't, say, reopen your NRT
reader for every query, if you have a high query rate; it's better to
rate limit the reopens.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Simon Willnauer