How about the following?

BooleanQuery bq1 = new BooleanQuery();
bq1.add(new PrefixQuery(new
Term("heading",word)),BooleanClause.Occur.SHOULD);
bq1.add(new PrefixQuery(new
Term("attribute",word)),BooleanClause.Occur.SHOULD);

BooleanQuery bq = new BooleanQuery();
bq.add(bq1, BooleanClause.Occur.MUST);
if(subjectId.length()>0)
bq.add(new PrefixQuery(new Term("subject_id",subjectId)),
BooleanClause.Occur.MUST);

I think bq should now be your desired query.

-TCK

Assume I have the following rather simple example that works fine:

BooleanQuery bq = new BooleanQuery();
bq.add(new PrefixQuery(new
Term("heading",word)),BooleanClause.Occur.SHOULD);
bq.add(new PrefixQuery(new
Term("attribute",word)),BooleanClause.Occur.SHOULD);

Now I add the following and I assume its doing what it should be doing, not
what I expect it should be doing:

BooleanQuery bq = new BooleanQuery();
bq.add(new PrefixQuery(new
Term("heading",word)),BooleanClause.Occur.SHOULD);
bq.add(new PrefixQuery(new
Term("attribute",word)),BooleanClause.Occur.SHOULD);
if(subjectId.length()>0)
bq.add(new PrefixQuery(new
Term("subject_id",subjectId)),BooleanClause.Occur.MUST);

This appears to be pulling out ALL records where "heading" matches or
"attribute" matches plus all records where "subject_id" matches.

How do I make it return documents that match "heading" or "attribute"
within the "subject_id" subset?

Kind regards,
Jacob Rhoden

____________________________________