Profile your application first hand and find out where the bottlenecks really
are during indexing.

For me it was clearly the database calls which took most of the time. Due to a
very complex SQL Query.
I applied the Producer - Consumer pattern and put a blocking queue in between. I
have a threadpool running x producers which are sending SQL Queries to the
database. Each returned row is put into the blockingQueue and another threadpool
running x (currently only 1) consumers is taking Objects from the row, converts
them to lucene documents and adds them to the index.
If the last row is put into the queue I add a Poison Pill to tell the consumer
to break.
Using a blockingQueue limited to 10.000 entries together with jdbc fetchSize
avoids high memory consumptions if too many producer threads return from the db.

This way I could reduce indexing time from around 8h to 30 min. (really). But be
careful. Load on the DB Server will surely increase.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Thomas

Paul Taylor wrote:
I'm building a lucene index from a database, creating 1 about 1 million
documents, unsuprisingly this takes quite a long time.
I do this by sending a query to the db over a range of ids , (10,000)
records
Add these results in Lucene
Then get next 10,0000 and so on.
When completed indexing I then call optimize()
I also set indexWriter.setMaxBufferedDocs(1000) and
indexWriter.setMergeFactor(3000) but don't fully understand these values.
Each document contains about 10 small fields

I'm looking for some ways to improve performance.

This index writing is single threaded, is there a way I can multi-thread
writing to the indexing ?
I only call optimize() once at the end, is the best way to do it.
I'm going to run a profiler over the code, but are there any rules of
thumbs on the best values to set for MaxBufferedDocs and Mergefactor()

thanks Paul

Thomas Becker
Senior JEE Developer

net mobile AG
Zollhof 17
40221 Düsseldorf
GERMANY

Phone: +49 211 97020-195
Fax: +49 211 97020-949
Mobile: +49 173 5146567 (private)
E-Mail: mailto:thomas.becker@net-m.de
Internet: http://www.net-m.de

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Düsseldorf, HRB 48022
Vorstand: Theodor Niehues (Vorsitzender), Frank Hartmann,
Kai Markus Kulas, Dieter Plassmann
Vorsitzender des
Aufsichtsrates: Dr. Michael Briem