: I figured it might be less expensive if search() (I have extended
: IndexSearcher) were to check that the underlying IndexReader is still

if you're extending IndexSearcher anyway you can override the close()
method to update a boolean and then add your own isClosed() method.

: open - and reopen() if necessary. However, I cannot find a way to

FWIW: I don't believe you can call the reopen() method on a close
IndexReader ... but you can of course "re" open a new IndexReader
instance.

: detect this ... is there a way? Failing that, what is the cost of just
: issuing a reopen() anyway?

if the index hasn't changed, it's free. If the index has changed
a lot, it's as expensive as open() ... if there are minor changes then
it's somewhere in between.

-Hoss