Mark Miller wrote:
Thomas Becker wrote:
Hey Mark,

yes. I'm running the app on unix. You see the difference between 2.9 and 2.4 here:

http://ankeschwarzer.de/tmp/graph.jpg
Right - I know your measurements showed a difference (and will keep that
in mind) - but the profiling results then seem
oddly similar.
Ok, got your point and agree.
2.4 responds much quicker thus increasing throughput severly. I'm having a
single segment only:

-rw-r--r-- 1 asuser asgroup 20 Sep 9 16:40 segments.gen
-rw-r--r-- 1 asuser asgroup 294 Sep 9 16:44 segments_1o
-rw-r--r-- 1 asuser asgroup 2810603184 Sep 9 16:44 _7c.cfs

The FileChannel.read hotspot is indeed strange. Especially if taking into
account that the index is lying on a tmpfs (in memory). And 2.4 should be using
NIOFSDirectory as well?! Will check that.
2.4 did not use NIOFSDirectory by default - you would have had to
manually specified it. Now its used by default if its detects a non
Windows OS.
Yes, I've checked that in the sources. I'm right now building the app and will
try it with SimpleFSDirectory. FSDirectory.open is replaced with new
SimpleFSDirectory. Will collect and post the results tomorrow. Seems to be a tad
faster. Details and new profiling data tomorrow. Have to leave now, sorry.
Any particular reason your profiling output does not show invocations?
Its not essential most likely, but I've found it to be helpful in
comparisons.
Yes, I reduced the profiler's impact on performance. It got horribly slow with
my usual profiling settings as soon as I included the org.apache.lucene files.
We are about to release 2.9, and its been such a long haul, I'd hate to
see a release with an unknown performance trap.
And me too. Doing my best to find the issue. :)
--
Thomas Becker
Senior JEE Developer

net mobile AG
Zollhof 17
40221 Düsseldorf
GERMANY

Phone: +49 211 97020-195
Fax: +49 211 97020-949
Mobile: +49 173 5146567 (private)
E-Mail: mailto:thomas.becker@net-m.de
Internet: http://www.net-m.de

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Düsseldorf, HRB 48022
Vorstand: Theodor Niehues (Vorsitzender), Frank Hartmann,
Kai Markus Kulas, Dieter Plassmann
Vorsitzender des
Aufsichtsrates: Dr. Michael Briem