Many thanks Steve for all that information.

I understand by your answer that cross-lingual search doesn't come "out-of
-the-box" in Lucene.

Cheers.

Alex
On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Steven A Rowe wrote:

Hi Alex,

What you want to do is commonly referred to as "Cross Language Information
Retrieval". Doug Oard at the University of Maryland has a page of CLIR
resources here:

http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~dlrg/clir/<http://terpconnect.umd.edu/%7Edlrg/clir/>

Grant Ingersoll responded to a similar question a couple of years ago on
this list:

<
http://search.lucidimagination.com/search/document/e1398067af353a49/cross_lingual_ir#e1398067af353a49
Here's another recent thread with lots of good info, from the solr-user
mailing list, on the same topic:

<
http://search.lucidimagination.com/search/document/f7c17dc516c89bf6/preparing_the_ground_for_a_real_multilang_index#797001daa3f73e17
Here's a paper written by a group that put together a Greek-English
cross-language retrieval system using Lucene:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/n172420t1346q683/

And here's another paper written by a group that made a Hindi and Telugu to
English cross-language retrieval system using Lucene, from the CLEF 2006
conference proceedings:

http://www.iiit.ac.in/techreports/2008_76.pdf

Steve