From: ba3
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:53 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Multiline Regex with Lucene

Hi,

Thanks for the pointers. I will try the span queries.
But can span query support regexp as a term ?

Also for more details in the problem :
The problem is like this:
find a search string inside a block of statements.
The block starts with a string and ends with a character.

-- Regards
Ba3

Erick Erickson wrote:
I doubt you're thinking in terms of tokens. Your inputstream is broken up
into tokens (think of them as words,
depending upon the analyzer) and regex searchers are
confined to those *tokens*. So the concept of a multi-line
regex in a search is kind of ...odd...

You could possibly index your input as UN_TOKENIZED, but
I really have no clue what Lucene would do with that. I think
you're off in uncharted territory here.

Perhaps a better thing would be for you to explain *why* you
want to do this and perhaps folks can come up with some
suggestions, I suspect this may be an XY problem, see

Best
Erick