It's best to let IndexWriter manage the deletion of files (for exactly
this reason).

It turns out, it's perfectly fine to open an IndexWriter with
"create=true" even when IndexReaders are reading that same index.
Those open IndexReaders continue to search their point-in-time
snapshot, and then when they reopen they'll switch to the "reset"

So, assuming you have enough free disk space, you could leave your
searcher open, create an IndexWriter with create=true, call
addIndexesNoOptimize passing in your RAMDir (or, skip RAMDir and
simply add your docs directly to this writer), then commit or close
the writer and reopen the searcher.

Because Lucene is transactional, and assuming you use autoCommit=false
when opening the writer, you can make all of your index updates and
the searcher, even if reopened, will see none of these changes, until
you've called commit/close from the writer.

Mike