Our application does exactly that: a background thread
(Thread.MIN_PRIORITY) that buffers every "waiting" document and indexes
every ~3 minutes, then reopens the searcher. No problems so far...

*
--
*Marcelo Frantz Schneider
SIC - TCO - Tecnologia em Engenharia do Conhecimento

*
Simon Willnauer escreveu:
I guess similar problems have been discussed on the list over and over again.
Why don't you use a single update thread which takes care of batch
processing, commit threshold or performs commits after a certain time
span.
This would at least prevent you from spawning all the threads which
is, as far as I can tell not necessary.
Your update thread could also notify you searcher to reopen the index
as soon as a change or a batch was commited.
If you are looking for examples you might find some good examples in
the Solr code.

- simon