Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 23:09:09 +0200
From: cdoronc@gmail.com
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Lucene multifield query problem

Hi Rakesh,

Perhaps the confusion comes from the asymmetry
between +X and -X. I.e., for the query:
A B -C +D
one might think that, similar to how -C only disqualifies docs
containing C (but not qualifying docs not containing C), also
+D only disqualifies docs not containing D. But this is
inaccurate, because +D, in addition to disqualifying
docs not containing D, also qualifies docs containing D.

The modified query that Steven suggested:
+(A B) -C +D
removes this asymmetry, because specifying +(A B) means
that D is not anymore sufficient to qualify a doc.

Hope this helps (otherwise let this reply be forever disqualified : - ) )
Doron