I suspect what happened is result of a "mis-ordered" upgrade sequence:
The first of the two applications managed to access and upgrade
the index. However the second application then tried to update the
already upgraded index and messed things up.

I think this may even be worse, as one of the changes since 2.0 is
that write locks are now (by default) maintained in the index directory.
So if the two applications attempt to access the index at the same time,
but one uses 2.0 and the other uses "to-be-2.1" version, since locks
are maintained in different places, they might both write to the index
at the same time and corrupt it.

A related discussion is in this thread:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-771#action_12464409

To conclude, the upgrade steps should be:
1) upgrade all readers.
2) upgrade all writers at once (no old writer should access the
index ones this step started).

Regards,
Doron