Are you using 2.1-dev version of Lucene? Try the latest nightly build, it as a fix for a certain OOM bug (see LUCENE-754).

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Van Nguyen <vnguyen@ur.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 6:39:58 PM
Subject: JAVA JVM Question

I have an index that's approximately 875MB. I'm using JBoss Application
Server 4.04 w/ Apache HTTP Server 2.2. My min/max JVM size is:
128MB/512MB. On initial startup, everything works fine. I'm able to
search (although it takes a while doing the first search because it's
everything's fine and dandy. But if I stop the application and
redeploy, I get an OutOfMemoryError when I search (when the index gets
loaded into memory again). I've tried this on both Java 5 and Java 6.

When I stop the application, I made sure (or at least to the best of my
knowledge) that I close all searcher/reader/writer. I'm pretty sure
that there are no locks on the index. I've tried increasing the maximum
JVM size to 1GB. Now I can redeploy the application twice before it
gives me the OutOfMemoryError. It seems like the JVM isn't garbage
collecting the index.

So is this a JVM issue where the index is still in memory and it isn't
being garbage collected? Or am I not closing my searcher/reader/writer
correctly? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Van