My approach, which I think is common, is to use Quartz sheduler.

Chris
-----------------------------
Instant Lucene Search on Any Databases/Applications
http://www.dbsight.net
On 6/12/06, Van Nguyen wrote:
I've been playing around with Lucene for a while now. I'm pretty
comfortable with creating an index and searching against it. Up until
now, I've been using the LuceneIndexAccessor package contributed by Maik
Schreiber and that's working well for me.

Now the next obstacle is to figure out what the best implementation is
for updating the index. Should the updating of the index be handled via
a web service, a schedule windows task, etc (the web app will be running
on WebSphere Application Server on Windows 2003)? I have a timer
service that was written for another application that sends out emails
at regular scheduled intervals. Should I apply the same methodology to
updating the index (I actually tried that... did as I wanted - but
synchronizing the LuceneIndexAccessor proved to be a challenge). Any
input would be appreciated.

Thanks