At 13:32 2003-01-13 -0500, you wrote:
Assuming you are using StandardAnalyzer, the default stop words are:

public static final String[] STOP_WORDS = {
"a", "and", "are", "as", "at", "be", "but", "by",
"for", "if", "in", "into", "is", "it",
"no", "not", "of", "on", "or", "s", "such",
"t", "that", "the", "their", "then", "there", "these",
"they", "this", "to", "was", "will", "with"
};

Your "state" field must not be built with StandardAnalyzer or ON would
have been removed by the analyzer when you created the field. It looks
like you will need to use lower level APIs than QueryParser to create your
Query object or don't use the default stop words.
Thanks. I am not using the query parser for that one, but a
termQuery. But I think the proble comes from the indexing part because I
am doing a text field for that fiels and is is indexed. I will correct that.

Eric

-----Original Message-----
From: Alain Lauzon
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2003 1:23 PM
To: Lucene Users List
Subject: Is the searched string 'on' a special case ?

I have an index wtih many fields, and specially, one for company name and
one for state.

When I search for :
+company:"inc"~100

I get 114 results from 2 states, HI (Hawaii) and ON (Ontario).

If I search for :
+state:hi +company:"inc"~100

I get 7 results for Hawaii.

But when I search for:
+state:on +company:"inc"~100

I get no results at all for Ontario.

So what is going on ? I tried with many other states and all are working,
but not 'on'.
Is 'on' a special case ? Like on/off ?

Alain Lauzon
alauzon@libertefinanciere.com