"Patch #2: Implement a realtime ram index class I think this one is
optional, or, rather an optimazation that we can swap in later
if/when necessary? Ie for starters little segments are written into
the main Directory."

John, Zoie could be of use for this patch. In addition, we may want to
implement flushing the IW ram buffer to a RAMDir for reading as M.M.
suggested.

First though the IW -> IR integration LUCENE-1516 needs to be
implemented otherwise it's not possible to properly execute updates
in realtime.