Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think the prefix query finds
matching terms first and puts them in an array???

So if you have a numeric field, searching for 1* could give a near
infinite number - causing an OOM.

Causes me to think though... in most cases the number of unique names
that start with r should be relatively small - not enough to cause an
OOM - so I need to investigate further what is happening.