would take a little updating at this point, but I doubt it would be
much work.

Scott
On Dec 4, 2003, at 10:22 AM, Julien Nioche wrote:

It is (relatively ) slow because I send very large boolean queries.
This may
differ from the general use of Lucene where people search for a few
terms
and want to access only the n first documents.
Profiling my apps shows that Term access and creation consumes a lot of
time. There was a discussion about this issue when Dmitry proposed a
patch
to limit creation of temporary Term objects. In my case this is even
more
obvious because of the size of the queries.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Hatcher" <erik@ehatchersolutions.com>
To: "Lucene Developers List" <lucene-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 3:56 PM
Subject: Re: suggestion for a CustomDirectory

On Thursday, December 4, 2003, at 09:45 AM, Julien Nioche wrote:
Here is a use case :
- my Lucene application is running under W2K
- I have (just) a gigabyte RAM
- my index is quite big, let's say 1.7 Gb (with a .tis of 31Mb an a
.tii of
479 Kb)

Using RAMDirectory is impossible, FSDirectory works but is quite
slow.
I'm curious.... why is FSDirectory slow? And how are you measuring
performance?

Erik

progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw