+1, a week at minimum seems very reasonable.

-Yonik
http://lucidworks.com

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Mark Miller wrote:
I still believe, as I have voted before, that because we are a community of developers spread across the world and work space, we should have some warning for releases - we are collaborating here - people should have a bit of time to tie up loose ends, investigate reports, weigh in about the pending release, whatever, to help make a solid release. A week minimum has always seemed reasonable to me. It's not enough time to slam in your latest big feature - unless you are confident or marking it as experimental or whatever consensus on that issue decides (we play by consensus) - but it is enough time to harden, investigate, and tie up loose ends that have worried you, but you have not tackled, not yet having the pressure of an impending release.

No one should *need* a release right now unless it's a critical bug fix release. Otherwise it seems you can always bring it up a week before you need it. And then everyone gets to play nice together even though this may not be their first job or they may be in university for the weekend, or whatever.

So +1 to next Wednesday, -1 to right now.

- Mark