Grokbase Groups Lucene dev July 2013
@Mark - Do you have it in public repo?

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 12:02 AM, Mark Miller wrote:

My feeling is that what we need most is what I've been working on
(surprise, surprise :) )

We need a simple Java app, very similar to the std Luke app. We need it to
be Apache licensed all the way through. We need it to be fully integrated
as a module. We need it to be straightforward enough that any of the
Lucene/Solr committers can easily work on it and update it as API's change.
GWT is probably a stretch for that goal - Apache Pivot is pretty straight
forward though - for any reasonable Java developer. I picked it up in
absolutely no time to build the thing from scratch - modifying it is 10
times easier. The backend code is all java, the layout and widgets all XML.

I've been pushing towards that goal (over the years now) with Luke ALE
(Apache Lucene Edition).

It's not a straight port of Luke with thinlet to Luke with Apache Pivot -
Luke has 90% of it's code in one huge class - I've already been working on
modularizing that code as I've moved it over - not too heavily because that
would have made it difficult to keep porting code, but a good start. Now
that the majority of features have been moved over, it's probably easier to
keep refactoring - which is needed, because another very important missing
piece is unit tests - and good units tests will require even more
refactoring of the code.

I also think a GWT version - something that could probably run nicely with
Solr - would be awesome. But way down the line in priority for me. We need
something very close to Lucene that the committers will push up the hill as
they push Lucene.

- Mark