Grokbase Groups Lucene dev July 2013

On 7/13/13 8:56 PM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
On 7/13/2013 3:15 AM, Ajay Bhat wrote:
One more question : What version of Lucene does Luke currently support
right now? I saw a comment on the issue page that it doesn't support the
Lucene 4.1 and 4.2 trunk.
The official Luke project only has versions up through 4.0.0-ALPHA.

http://code.google.com/p/luke/

There is a forked project that has produced Luke for newer Lucene versions.

https://java.net/projects/opengrok/downloads

I can't seem to locate any information about how they have licensed the
newer versions, and I'm not really sure where the source code is living.

Regarding a question you asked earlier, Luke is a standalone program.
It does include Lucene classes in the "lukeall" version of the
executable jar.

Luke may have some uses as a library, but I think that most people run
it separately. There is partial Luke functionality embedded in the Solr
admin UI, but I don't know whether that is something cooked up by Solr
devs or if it shares actual code with Luke.
Ajay,

Luke is a standalone GUI application, not a library. It uses a custom
version of Thinlet GUI toolkit, which is no longer maintained, and it's
LGPL licensed, so Luke can't be contributed to the Lucene project as is.

Recently several people expressed interest in porting Luke to some other
GUI toolkit that is Apache-friendly. See the discussion here:

http://groups.google.com/d/msg/luke-discuss/S_Whwg2jwmA/9JgqKIe5aiwJ

In particular, there's a fork by Dmitry Kan - he plans to integrate
other patches and forks, and to port Luke from Thinlet to GWT and sync
it with the latest version of Lucene. I think you should coordinate your
efforts with him and other contributors that work on that code base.
This fork is Apache-licensed and the long-term plan is to contribute it
back to Lucene once the porting is done.

The Pivot-based port of Luke that is in the Lucene sandbox is in an
early stage. I'm not sure Mark Miller has time to work on it due to his
involvement in SolrCloud development.

The Luke handler in Solr is a completely different code base, and it
shares only the name with the Luke application.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki