Since my contribution in LUCENE-1732 I have been working on re-writing most
of the spatial contrib, particularly the Cartesian Tier code. I have added
javadoc, tests and and have removed many of the classes which were either
deprecated, unused or unnecessary. I have also tried to define easier
extension points for adding things like JTS support, and different data
formats (whether it be geohashes or traditional latitude and longitude).
Much of the work has been done with Solr integration in mind with the
overall goal being to create enterprise ready spatial search support.

I am also planning on collaborating with some of the developers from the JPL
to improve the range the geographic functions supported and to provide
efficient searching with even the most massive and varied of data sets.

I have every intention to contribute this as another patch soon.

Thanks,
Chris