Thinking out loud,

SSD is pretty close to RAM when it comes to seeking. Wouldn't that
mean that a bitset stored on an SSD would be more or less as fast as a
bitset in RAM? So how about storing all permutations of filters one
use on SSD? Perhaps loading them to RAM in case they are frequently
used? To me it sounds like a great idea.

Not sure if one should focus at OpenBitSet or a fixed size BitSet, I'd
really need to do some real tests to tell. Still, I'm rather convinced
the bang for the buck ratio is quite a bit more using SSD than RAM
given IO throughput (compare an index in RAM vs on SSD vs on HDD)
isn't an issue.

The only real issue I can this of is the lack of
DocSetIterator#close()..

karl