Trying running the application with -Xmx128m

You may find that it works fine. Java will continue to allocate
memory if it needs it - it you allow it to.

It does this for performance reasons. If the app runs in a tight
loop, this could be your problem.

If that is not the case, it is most likely that you are not closing
resources, and or holding references (usually via static vars).