Andi,

I think these numbers could still easily be dominated by class loading.
Java classes are loaded on demand, and there are many classes which
are probably loaded after the IndexFiles demo records the start time.
I'd guess that there is no class loading with gcj. It would be better
to use a benchmark that takes at least 10-20 seconds. For example, try
using IndexFiles or IndexHTML on the JDK documentation.

Cheers,

Doug

Andi Vajda wrote:
The numbers are the ones that are displayed by the lucene
org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexFiles demo, I assume the clock is started after
the VM has loaded.

Andi..