From: Otis Gospodnetic

Sent: Monday, May 06, 2002 8:11 PM
To: dcutting@grandcentral.com
Subject: Re:
org.apache.lucene.document.Document.getFields(String name)
method?

I'm not sure...
Can you really add multiple fields with the same name to the index?

Check this method comment in Document.java:
/** Adds a field to a document. Several fields may be added with
* the same name. In this case, if the fields are indexed, their
* text is treated as though appended for the purposes of search.
*/
public final void add(Field field)

It sounds like indexed fields are just concatenated (into a single
field with the given name). I'm not sure what happens with
non-indexed
fields.

Does Lucene store multiple values for the same field name in
such a way
that you can retrieve them separately?

Thanks,
Otis

--- Martin_Sévigny wrote:
Hi,

The method org.apache.lucene.document.Document.getField(String name)
is
documented as this :

"Returns a field with the given name if any exist in this document,
or
null. If multiple fields may exist with this name, this method
returns
the last added such added."

I'm wondering why the limit for multiple fields. In some cases, I'm
interested in retrieving all the values for a field. Looking at the
code, I see that it returns a field as soon as it finds one with the
right name :

-----
for (DocumentFieldList list = fieldList; list != null; list =
list.next)
if (list.field.name().equals(name))
return list.field;
-----

Would it be possible to add something like a "public Field[]
getFields(String name)" method to the Document class? It is pretty
simple to write, I can send the code if needed.

Thank's,

Martin Sévigny