Grokbase Groups Kafka users June 2016
Yep, what Ewen said. We have all of our Kafka clusters behind hardware load
balancers. Producers (and eventually consumers, once we switch to the new
consumer) get configured with those VIPs. It’s better than providing a list
of brokers for the cluster, because we often change the particular brokers
in the cluster.

Note that there is a difference in behavior between the older producer
library and the current one. The old producer would make all metadata
requests through the VIP (the broker list), and then connect directly to
the individual brokers for produce/fetch. The current producer uses the VIP
(bootstrap servers) once at startup to populate the list the list of
brokers for the cluster and then makes metadata and all other requests to
those brokers directly (not through the VIP).

As a side note here, has anyone validated the behavior of the clients when
the bootstrap.servers is a round robin DNS entry?

-Todd