Username would need to come in from the authentication layer.

What is your choice of authentication mode? Based on SSL vs. Kerberos,
you'll need to configure the clients per
http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#security_configclients (SSL)
which requires using a configuration properties file passed to the console
producer via --producer.config, or
http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#security_sasl_clientconfig
(Kerberos/SASL)
which requires creating a JAAS definition file and passing it to the
console producer by passing the file into the JVM opts via something like:

~> export
KAFKA_OPTS="-Djava.security.auth.login.config=/path/to/valid/JAAS.conf"
~> kafka-console-producer.sh (…)