Grokbase Groups Hive user August 2011
For some reason, my questions sent two days ago again never shows up,
even though I can google the question. I apologize if you have seen
this question before.

After loading around 2G or so data in a few files into hive, the
"select count(*) from table" query keep failing. The JobTracker UI
gives the following error:

org.apache.hadoop.fs.ChecksumException: Checksum error:
/blk_8155249261522439492:of:/user/hive/warehouse/att_log/collect_time=1313592519963/load.dat
at 51794944
at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FSInputChecker.verifySum(FSInputChecker.java:277)
at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FSInputChecker.readChecksumChunk(FSInputChecker.java:241)
at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FSInputChecker.read1(FSInputChecker.java:189)
at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FSInputChecker.read(FSInputChecker.java:158)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient$BlockReader.read(DFSClient.java:1660)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient$DFSInputStream.readBuffer(DFSClient.java:2257)
at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient$DFSInputStream.read(DFSClient.java:2307)
at java.io.DataInputStream.read(DataInputStream.java:83)
at org.apache.hadoop.util.LineReader.readLine(LineReader.java:134)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.LineRecordReader.next(LineRecordReader.java:136)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.LineRecordReader.next(LineRecordReader.java:40)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.HiveRecordReader.doNext(HiveRecordReader.java:66)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.HiveRecordReader.doNext(HiveRecordReader.java:32)
at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.HiveContextAwareRecordReader.next(HiveContextAwareRecordReader.java:67)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask$TrackedRecordReader.moveToNext(MapTask.java:192)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask$TrackedRecordReader.next(MapTask.java:176)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapRunner.run(MapRunner.java:48)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask.runOldMapper(MapTask.java:358)

fsck reports there are courrpted blocks. I have tried dropping the
table and reload a few time. As far as I can see, the behavior is
somewhat different every time, in the sense of how many corrupted
blocks and how many files I loaded before the corrupted blocks appear.
Sometimes the corrupted blocks show up after the data is loaded and
sometimes only after the "select count(*)" query is made. I have tried
setting "io.skip.checksum.errors" to true, but has no effect at all.

I know that checksum error is usually an indication of hardware
problem. But we are running hive on NFS cluster and has ECC memory.
Our system admin here is not willing to believe that our high quality
hardware has so many issues. I did try installing a simpler single
node hive on another machine and the problem does not appear in this
install after the data is loaded. Can someone give me some pointers in
what else to try? Thanks.

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop
postedAug 17, '11 at 3:26p
activeAug 22, '11 at 3:04p
websitehive.apache.org

2 users in discussion

W S Chung: 3 posts Aggarwal, Vaibhav: 1 post