zz=`hive -S -e "select count(1) from t"`

~Avram

~ Avram Aelony|Sr. Analyst|eHarmony.com|(424) 258-1199|x1098|skype: avram.aelony ~
On Mar 21, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Sameer Kalburgi wrote:

Any plans, if possible, to allow you to set the variable from a query result e.g. 'set zzz = (select count(1) from t)'?

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Edward Capriolo wrote:
On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Andrew Wilson wrote:
We use the Cloudera Oozie distro which has a Hive action, and provides that kind of template support for Hive scripts.
On Mar 21, 2011, at 11:35 AM, Lenin Gali wrote:

Best way to do this is to write shell or python scripts and echo with substitute variables and call hive from command line passing -f argument with output file.

Lenin

-----Original Message-----
From: amit jaiswal <amit_jus@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 08:10:55
To: <user@hive.apache.org>
Subject: Dynamic Configuration support in Hive SQL

Hi,

Does hive support dynamic configuration? For example: is it possible to write a
hive script with some ${PARAM} variables and let hive replace these parameters
with their values at runtime.

Eg.
Original hive script:
select * from person where age > ${MIN_AGE};

Config file:
MIN_AGE=18

And hive replaces the MIN_AGE parameter automatically.

-amit
Hive 0.7.0 will support variables substitution.
This is the xdoc
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hive/trunk/docs/xdocs/language_manual/var_substitution.xml
(you can built the doc into nicer html by running ant docs in trunk)

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop
postedMar 21, '11 at 3:11p
activeMar 21, '11 at 11:28p