Grokbase Groups Hive user July 2010
The fatal error was thrown because the # of dp exceeded the the hive.exec.max.dynamic.partitions.pernode (100). There is a typo (missed 's' in 'partitions') in the tutorial (sorry about that). If you correct the typo in your query, it should work.

One thing to watch out is that if you increase the parameter to a large value, it could cause unexpected HDFS errors. The reason is that for each dynamic partitions, we need to open at least 1 file. As long as a file is open, there will be one connection open to one of the HDFS data nodes. There is a limit of the max # of simultaneous connections to any data node (configurable, but the default is 256). So you might want to increase that HDFS parameter as well.

Ning