Grokbase Groups Hive user July 2010
As Zheng mentioned, I think a separate JIRA issue needs to be created for the SemanticAnalyzer star expansions for both UDF and UDAF; see the comment I just added on HIVE-287.

JVS

On Jul 7, 2010, at 5:44 PM, Pradeep Kamath wrote:

Hi Arvind,
Before I dig deeper with the patch on that jira, I was wondering if it is relevant that what I am trying is not an aggregate function (no group by involved). I am writing a row level UDF but would like all fields in the row to be presented to the udf. So my query literally is:
“select myudf(*) from mytable;”

Do you think the patch might address my use case even though my UDF is not a UDAF?

Thanks,
Pradeep

________________________________
From: Arvind Prabhakar
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 5:26 PM
To: hive-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: UDF which takes entire row as arg

Hi Pradeep,

See HIVE-287<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-287>. The most recent patch supplied with this Jira allows you to create UDAFs that support the FUNCTION(STAR) syntax. You can apply this patch to your local working copy and see if that addresses your problem.

Also feel free to ask questions regarding anything that this patch provides.

Arvind