Check your field delimiter?
-A

From: Abhijit Pol
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2009 2:55 PM
To: hive-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: getting all null values

For one of the hive table I switched from TextFile to SequenceFile format. This is how I created the new table:

CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE IMPRESSIONS ( A STRING, B STRING)
PARTITIONED BY(DATA_DATE STRING COMMENT 'yyyyMMdd (e.g. 20090801) on which log records are collected')
ROW FORMAT DELIMITED
FIELDS TERMINATED BY '\t'
STORED AS SEQUENCEFILE
LOCATION '/user/hadoop/warehouse/facts/impressions/';

This external table is sourced by our custom ETL job which writes data in MultipleSequenceFileOutputFormat.

When I issue simple query like: SELECT * FROM IMPRESSIONS;
This is what I am getting for all the records:
NULL NULL 20090715
NULL NULL 20090715
NULL NULL 20090715

But if I do: hadoop dfs -text /user/hadoop/warehouse/facts/impressions/data_date=20090715/* | less
I get expected output.

Previously I was using MultipleTextFileOutputFormat to feed TextFile version of this table and it worked well.

Any hints?

Thanks,
Abhi

groupuser @