Grokbase Groups Hive user August 2009
I reproduced the bug and opened HIVE-718.

Zheng

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Eva Tsewrote:

We discovered a problem where loading into a new partition in hive w/o
specifying ‘overwrite’ doesn’t work.

If the specified partition does not exist yet, running the following
statement would not move the data files, but only create the directory on
HDFS.
hive -e "load data inpath
'/user/output/nccp/P20090731T233339/sessionsFacts_L20090718T03-r-00000' into
table nccp_session_facts partition (dateint = 20090718, hour = 4)

If we run the same statement one more time, it will move the file.

However, if we run the same statement with ‘overwrite’, it will create the
directory and move the file just fine.

We don’t think it is expected behavior. Hence, would like to know if this is
a bug.

Hive version: r795559 with 487.4 patch.
Hadoop: 0.20

Thanks a lot!