Grokbase Groups Hive user August 2009
We discovered a problem where loading into a new partition in hive w/o
specifying Œoverwrite¹ doesn¹t work.

If the specified partition does not exist yet, running the following
statement would not move the data files, but only create the directory on
HDFS.
hive -e "load data inpath
'/user/output/nccp/P20090731T233339/sessionsFacts_L20090718T03-r-00000' into
table nccp_session_facts partition (dateint = 20090718, hour = 4)

If we run the same statement one more time, it will move the file.

However, if we run the same statement with Œoverwrite¹, it will create the
directory and move the file just fine.

We don¹t think it is expected behavior. Hence, would like to know if this is
a bug.

Hive version: r795559 with 487.4 patch.
Hadoop: 0.20

Thanks a lot!