yeah we could do that. We could also just make the field separator that is displayed by the separator configurable...

Regarding the patent.. in this day and age people patent the most trivial of things as well.. we could also perhaps make this more explicit by allowing simple transformations in the load statement, similar to what mysql does using set expressions in the syntax...

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/load-data.html

Ashish

From: Edward Capriolo [edlinuxguru@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2009 10:12 PM
To: hive-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: equijoin with multiple columns?

Actually, an implicit trim() is probably a bad idea. It is more of a
gimmick. Would you turn the trim on for the table or only for certain
rows? Maybe a patent should be made for auto-rounding, auto-spel
lcheck, or auto-square root. Where does it end?

In any case an idea might be to add some syntax to the select
statement to show whitespace as an octal number or space. When
selecting the row the write space would be visible.

groupuser @
categorieshive, hadoop
postedJan 23, '09 at 4:57a
activeJan 27, '09 at 3:00a