Are there other situations where the WAL is needed (or append is needed) to
avoid data loss?

Thanks -Andreas.

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Andrew Purtell wrote:

From: Francis Christopher Liu <fcliu@yahoo-inc.com>
Thanks for the warning, we'd like to stick with the ASF
releases of hadoop.
That's not really advisable with HBase. It's a touchy subject, the 0.20-ish
support for append in HDFS exists in production at some large places but
isn't in any ASF 0.20.

We have replayed the append branch on top of branch-0.20-security:
https://github.com/trendmicro/hadoop-common/tree/0.20-security-append

This is a companion ASF-ish branch to our in development branch of HBase
for HBASE-3025 (security and access control):
http://github.com/trendmicro/hbase/tree/security

If you're willing to risk data loss with HBase anyway you should give this
a shot. We really need a branch-0.20-security-append.

Best regards,

- Andy

(via Tom White)

groupuser @