As far as it being a patch to Thrift, in all the examples you get a
socket from Thrift and buffer it yourself.

Typical code:

# Make socket
transport = TSocket.TSocket('localhost', 9090)

# Buffering is critical. Raw sockets are very slow
transport = TTransport.TBufferedTransport(transport)

# Wrap in a protocol
protocol = TBinaryProtocol.TBinaryProtocol(transport)

Bruce