On 23 November 2013 18:51, Andrew Purtell wrote:

Personally I would try to mock before adding fault injection framework.
(Guilty of doing that in a recent patch-in-progress, but I have come to my
senses in time.) No objection to fault injection frameworks per se. Using
HDFS as an example again, please correct me if I'm mistaken, there was an
AOP fault injection framework once but it is currently disabled, a victim
of the migration from Ant to Maven, and possibly will be removed.

That and the fact that not only was it brittle, it was under-understood and
so undermaintained -people got scared of it, and when it reported problems,
the "blame the test framework" became the strategy.

The
trouble with testing frameworks is the added debt they accumulate over
time, like everything else. If we commit to adding one, and also use it as
much as possible, that would be fine with me. Either way, we should
definitely discuss the new/proposed framework and commit it on its own
JIRA. I'm concerned how one got through the back door on HBASE-9949.
Another is "test frameworks may impose requirements on the underlying
code". This exists in YARN where I couldn't make some of the service events
of YARN-117 final as it screwed up Mockito.

Things like Guice are very visible here, but if you can adapt your code to
use it in other ways it may be acceptable.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

groupdev @
categorieshbase, hadoop