Grokbase Groups HBase dev June 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Todd Lipcon wrote:
Quick update on the development branch 0.89.20100621.
(Todd you want to explain the version number or do you want me to?)

I think the following patches still need to go in:
- HBASE-2767 (failed tests building with HDFS-1209) Reviewed.
- HBASE-2729 (fix bug when flush hits IOE)
Please paste patch into issue so can review (review.hbase.org is down)

- I'd also like to disable the TestAcidGuarantees test in this branch, since
that is a known bug.

Grand.
- I'd like to commit a short KNOWN_BUGS file which describes a few of the
open issues that we're currently working on. Certainly doesn't have to be
exhaustive list of all open JIRAs, but just a few things that users may run
into.
Yeah. Just call out the biggies and refer use to the short list
(ahem) of other issues we have against next major release.

Some performance issues were raised during testing at StumbleUpon -- any
luck figuring those out, Ryan/Stack? It would be good to address them for
the dev release, since it sounds like the RS barely makes progress when this
bug is triggered.

Yeah, its a beaut. Sucks all resources for some period of time until
it gets over first flush then its good to go for a while at least.
Still trying to figure it.

Given the above, I'd like to see if we can get the above two jiras reviewed
and committed later tonight, and I'll try to roll a release candidate before
I go to sleep. I think the correct way to release in this maven land is to
simply do an svn export and vote on that, and then separately do an
assembly:assembly tar as a binary release artifact (since assembly tar
doesn't include unpacked source, etc).
Why not just vote on the assembly? Thats what we'd run? If you do a
site before assembly:assembly, you'll even have docs (mvn install site
assembly;assembly). The source is there to review if wanted. Doing
an svn export will have to build ourselves.

St.Ack

groupdev @
categorieshbase, hadoop
postedJun 23, '10 at 1:36a