Grokbase Groups HBase dev June 2010
Hey everyone,

I'd like to start planning towards a development release this month. Here's
my thinking on timeline, working backwards:

*Tues, 6/29 - Hadoop Summit, official first release of dev series*

It would be great to have a release at this point that we think is
moderately usable (ie not significantly less stable than 0.20.n has been).
Perhaps some of the new features (eg replication, coprocessors, etc) would
still be in progress but I think it would be great to be able to talk up a
working installable-today release at the summit.

Thinking backwards, from here:

*Tues, 6/22 - Major patches committed, first "usable" builds w/ new features
*

If all the real development features were committed by 6/22, that would give
us a week to bang on it suss out the bugs. Those of you working on larger
things (eg master fixup), do you think you'll be ready for it to be
committed at this point?

*Tues, 6/15 - Major patches in review*
*
*
Given the scope of some of the changes in the works (particularly thinking
about master work being done at FB right now) I think it would be excellent
if the rest of us could start looking at patches by 6/15. Fine if there are
still known bugs, but this will give us some days to look at the patch and
work in parallel on fixing them.

Do these target dates seem reasonable to everyone?

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera