In Hadoop V0.20.2,
I had the same choices to do ...
The result are : whenever I can work with the new API, I do
if not, I continue working with the OLD API (as for MultipleOutputFormat)
The whole process is thus a mix of new API jobs mixed with old API jobs
: works perfectly.

MultipleOutputFormat is out with the new API with the 0.21 hadoop version :)

Hope it helps
Olivier Varene